Saturday, April 30, 2016

Literature Review #5

Title: Why Do First-Generation Students Fail?

Authors: Mehta, Sanjay S.Newbold, John J.O'Rourke, Matthew A.

Citation: 
Mehta, Sanjay S., John J. Newbold, and Matthew A. O'Rourke. "Why Do First-Generation Students Fail?." College Student Journal 45.1 (2011): 20-35. ERIC. Web. 30 Apr. 2016.

After looking at all my sources, I came to realize that this article was the most important in my research. It pointed me to more resourceful information and as well gave me guidance to search for other terms.

With simple statements like “first generation students were found to have significantly lower family incomes and different sources of college funding than CGS families. Over 71 % of first generation students reported family incomes of less than $60,000 compared to only 42% of CGS”(7) Mehta et. al made it easy of me to make arguments. They presented hard facts that were backed by research.

According to their research, 21% of first generation students made more than $15,000, compared to the 12% of CGS (Appendix 1). Here I was able to find stats on the income they make compared to non FGS. Overall they made my work a lot easier.

In their research they cite Vincent Tinto many times, and even though he does not focus mostly on FGS, his work is very resourceful to the work needed for FGS.


No comments:

Post a Comment