Monday, April 25, 2016

Argument

Because the title of the paper will be "Are First Generation College Students More Likely to Fail?" I feel that saying I am arguing for something is not accurate. Rather, I am looking at the research that has already happened and making a decision based on my observations. As of right now, I see that there is a higher chance for them to fail, but not I want to highlight why that is a reality and how we can combat that. I guess in somewhat I argue that they are more likely to fail, but I want find the solutions. This research paper is not meant to highlight failure, but rather how to fix the issue that is present among FGS.

3 comments:

  1. There are lots of ways for you to enter the conversation and make an argument. For instance, you could talk about why first gen students are at risk and then what sort of programs therefore are most helpful to them -- for instance, those that help them create connections, perhaps with other first generation students, might help them avoid social isolation. Or you can talk about the problems they face and what choices they can make that help mitigate that. Things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another argument would be to present your own take on the particular issues you see that seem most important, based on your evidence or based on specific cases. But I have not heard anything like that yet from you, so I think the more practical approach of problem/solution would be easiest for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have found an article where multiple cases are listed, but I think it would be easier for me go with the problem/solution approach.

      Delete