Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Check Point

As I began to do research on my topic, I remembered that we were allowed to use primary resources. I began to think to myself what it feels to be born here and be a first generation college students from an immigrant family. It is easy to say that most of the stress I feel is because I have people who are expecting a lot from me. When I hear my mother or father talk to their friends who have sons and daughters the may be entering their first college class in the fall, they always begin to almost brag about my accomplishments. I've been fortunate to not have to pay out of pocket money since freshman year, but that almost adds more stress to me. So on one hand, being a US citizen almost makes the expectation to be that much higher.
On another hand, one of my best friends came to the States when we were in the second grade. His family made many sacrifices to get him here from Ecuador, as he came illegally. He has managed to legalize his status now, but after talking to him I noticed that our expectations are a little different. He told me that he acknowledges the many sacrifices his single mother has made to have him here and allow for him to have the most resources possible to make his success here. He used the words, "I feel that I owe my mother the biggest debt of them all, and that's opportunity." On the financial side of it all, he could not attend Rutgers Business School due to his temporary legal status. He was not offered financial aid and had to attend community college instead.
Overall it seems that we both have to juggle the our personal expectations. In the article linked below,  I was able to explore more of this conflict that many students in similar situations face. Its tough to not always feel that we can do better and that we have let someone down. Hopefully in the more research I do, I can find more solutions than problems.

http://jar.sagepub.com/content/30/3/271.full.pdf+html

1 comment:

  1. I would welcome you using interviews and primary sources for your paper as you describe, but don't ignore academic sources also, as they will give you a way of interpreting or analyzing what you discover. Collecting interviews like that could become a big and ambitious project. This might even turn into a long term project for you -- something you might pursue as an Aresty research project:
    https://aresty.rutgers.edu/our-programs

    Maybe a professor in Latino Studies could help you pursue such a project further than you do in this class:
    http://latcar.rutgers.edu/people/core-faculty

    ReplyDelete